Monday, January 25, 2010

On 'Wake Up Sid', love & new cities

Finally, watched this movie too. That kinda completes my list of top bollywood movies of 2009 that I wanted to catch. Actually, I liked Ranbir's other movie, Rocket Singh a lot more than this movie - thought that was much more realistically done. But, Wake Up Sid spoke to me in it's own way, especially through Aisha's (Konkona) character.

She, in her article for the mag she was was writing for, finally contends that her love for the new city (Mumbai in this case) was perhaps the love for Sid, and that she probably wouldn't have loved the city so if not for his introduction to it. Or something like that. Which I totally agree with.

I always thought Chennai had more character than Hyderabad (mostly cultural - I still cherish a lot of things about Hyderabad - apart from the obvious things like the awesome Biryani, Karachi Bakery biscuits, it's unabashed love for all things new and flashy - something that I share ;). But I think I really fell in love with Chennai, partly because I was also falling in love with this girl.

There was a time when I couldn't go to any of our favorite haunts without thinking her, or a million painful memories springing out of nowhere, surprising me with their strength. I guess I should've left Chennai at that point of time, but something in me, wouldn't let go.

I'm proud to say that my love for this city won over my love for this girl. I'm glad to have proven to myself, that my love for what this city represents, transcends my love for this person. I also think in that process, I rediscovered myself in a lot of ways. Which is probably a whole new blog post for later :). But I shall never forget the fact that she was part of this process, probably the originator too, and for that, I will be eternally thankful. To the city, and to her.

No comments: