Monday, February 02, 2009

Must see: The Secret Life of Bees

Yesterday I was lucky enough to catch this movie, and boy was it a blast. I haven't seen such wonderful narration in a while, and all the actors in the movie shine in their roles. Queen Latifah's role seems a little over-wrought, but it's an easy thing to forgive, given the gorgeous way this movie unfolds. Dakota Fanning shines too. Not her best role, but she's pretty awesome as a troubled teenage girl. I'm not sure why Alicia Keys cannot tone down the make-up, but then, she's good too, so that's forgivable.

But the sum of parts surely does outshine. It deals with good and bad in people with equal vigour, and it can be quite touching in many places. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that moved me to tears so often. I don't understand why this move has only 6.8 on IMDB, but it surely deserves at least a 7.5. Must watch.

No comments: